Thursday, October 2, 2014

Dinner Conversation

The Musgroves made a big fuss about my arrival last night at dinner, making me feel very welcome. At the moment it is just family here. Here’s the rundown (all names changed, of course):

Mr. & Mrs. Musgrove: married 35 years, kind-hearted, they live to socialize at home and are happiest with a big party of easy-going people around them. They aren’t the most…. cerebral people ever, but they are very warm and generous and cheerful. Mr. Musgrove has a law firm that does well. Mrs. Musgrove raised the kids and now often takes on nephews and nieces and cousins for extended periods - anything to have kids around.

The Musgrove’s kids:

Lousia - their youngest daughter, she is 21 and enjoying a semester off, a consequence of changing programs, I think. She will be traveling to Europe to do a semester abroad in a few months.

Rietta - the eldest daughter, she is 23 and just graduated from university. She is doing an internship locally and living at the Lodge until she finishes.

Charles - their son, my brother-in-law; see previous post.



Dinner conversations with the Musgroves go something like this:

Mr. Musgrove: So, Anne, your father and sister are gone? What part of Bath* do you think they’ll settle in?

Louisa: I hope we go to Bath this winter! If we do, Dad, we have to stay someplace better than last time. We were so far away from everything!

Mary: Well, it looks like it’ll be very lonely for me here with you all gone to Bath.

Rietta: The new theatre in Bath is due to open next month; I've heard they’re putting on a special modern adaptation of the Nutcracker for Christmas.

Mrs. Musgrove, to me while the others talked about Bath: I’m very glad you’ll be here for a while, Anne. Your visits are usually so short!

Me: Thank you! You’re always so welcoming, I enjoy it here.

Mrs. Musgrove: Well, you’re part of the family - where would we be without family? Louisa - you have to play that piano piece for Anne later, I’m sure she’ll love it.

Louisa, interrupting her conversation with Rietta to reply: Ok, Mama, but I have to warn you Anne, I’m terrible! I keep practicing it but I don’t seem to get better. Maybe you can help!

Anne: I’d love to hear it; I like works-in-progress.

I don’t know if that conveys it - the dynamic nature of conversation around the Musgrove family table. It’s quite funny to be part of - half the things said aren’t responded to, but no one minds. It’s all in good spirits, except when Mary gets into a fuss over something.

It’s a nice change from my recent solitude, probably just what I need to get out of my funk.

No comments :

Post a Comment