Friday, October 17, 2014

Q&A #2

Q: Why has Dad not re-married?

A: Well, I can’t say I've ever asked him this - we don’t really have that kind of relationship - perhaps you've picked up on that? He has made passing references to the ‘sacrifice’ he’s made for us girls, which make me think that he thinks he has stayed single for the sake of his daughters, which is… strange, given how little he was involved in our upbringing.

He has a lot of standards for the people he associates with. Any perspective partner would have to be from a good family, would have to be decently wealthy (or at least from a family thought to be wealthy), she would have to be flawlessly beautiful and perpetually young. Any sign of aging and I’m pretty sure he would toss her overboard. Perhaps that’s the answer - Dad prefers to date because when the women get too old for him he can go for a younger model. This sounds harsh, I know, but Dad himself would admit it - he hates seeing old, haggard faces (those would be his words). He is actually quite good looking, he looks much younger than his 55 years (which he loves to be told), so there are usually younger women willing to be his arm candy at gala events and whatnot.


Q: The Crofts are of retirement age, but you dated Mrs. Croft’s brother Wentworth, what?

A: Ah, yes that would be confusing. Mr. Croft has retired early; he is in his early 50s. Sophy is younger than him, just turned 40, in fact. She has two brothers and Wentworth is the younger one at 32. I know Wentworth was closer to his brother than his sister, though I think that’s mostly because Sophy was traveling, rather than the age gap.


Q: What is my worst fault?

A: This is a very introspective question to ask - way to be deep, Internet. I wonder what others would say my worst fault is. That’s probably a better way to find the answer.

I feel like others might say my worst fault is that I am overly serious - Dad and Beth would certainly say that. But I cling tightly to my level-headedness, even against all their disapproval. I think plain, sensible people are all too rare in the world. I wish I knew a magic trick for turning vain, silly people into serious, rational ones.

I would say my worst fault is being too soft. I hate to see broken things - injured birds, heritage buildings being demolished, beautiful objects broken. I wish I could dial down the caring more, be less sensitive. It doesn’t seem to serve any purpose, to be this sensitive, except to cause me pain and heartache.

No comments :

Post a Comment