Thursday, November 6, 2014

Literacy Program - Info and Inspiration

I'm expecting to get feedback from my old professor and her colleague on my program brief tomorrow, and I'm feeling rather nervous about it. I'm not sure what I'll do if they tear the idea to shreds.

While I wait, I continue to troll the internet looking for more information, more inspiration for my program - there is some amazing stuff going on out there to improve literacy in kids, it's wonderful and inspiring.

Here are some of the things I've found lately, in case anyone is as interested in this as I am:

An interesting article this morning about research showing the dramatic results one ipad-based learn-to-read app had on early literacy test scores. Fodder for the debate about screen time for kids, something I don't know much about. (Although Mary lets my nephew have as much time with the tablet as he wants.)  http://www.fastcolabs.com/3037603/yes-ipad-apps-can-help-your-child-learn-to-read 

An interesting, easy to understand summary of where kids typically are with reading by various ages - I find this fascinating:
by age 5-6:  http://www.kidspot.com.au/schoolzone/Reading-Literacy-milestones-5-6+4168+305+article.htm
by age 7-8: http://www.kidspot.com.au/schoolzone/Reading-Literacy-milestones-7-8+4169+305+article.htm
etc.

This example of a journalism writing/editing program for kids that gets them exciting about reading and writing in a way normal classroom activities don't - partly because they are doing it in the office of a real newspaper: http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2014/oct/28/mind-your-language-children-love-language-writing-wordplay

That last one is really inspiring to me - that's what I get excited about. Those kids are not stigmatized by getting to participate in that program, probably the opposite - getting picked to participate makes you the lucky one. That's the kind of program I want to run.

1 comment :

  1. Interesting! Isn't it nice to have time to read everything you can about something you're interested in? So hard to fit in the time normally.

    ReplyDelete