Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Sisters

One of the things I both love and hate about being at the Lodge is seeing Rietta and Louisa together. They are like the sisters you see in movies – they share interests and get excited about the same stuff, they enjoy each other’s company, they support and encourage each other. They understand each other. It’s lovely to see two people who have such a great relationship. It also serves to highlight what is missing in my own family relationships.

Family is such a funny thing, isn't it? A collection of people you have a bond with that is so strong you may depend on them when you are in trouble, while at the same time, they may not really know you at all. In fact, family has this special 'right' of treating each other far worse than they would ever dare treat strangers. Why is that? 

I often fall into the habit of dismissing my sisters' concerns as being trivial, as they do mine. I'm trying to be better about it lately - to remember that while I might disagree with the level of importance they assign things, it's not all about me. I try to see things from their perspective, to listen, to withhold judgement. It's really hard! And then I see Rietta and Louisa together and I get so jealous because they are so easy with each other; it's not work for them. How wonderful that must be!

Am I the only one that struggles to connect with siblings? Is it me?

1 comment :

  1. You're definitely not alone. I have an older sister and we are polar opposites in personality. We fought a lot as kids, but we get along better now.

    I've always been a big believer that family isn't always who you're related to by blood. Sometimes bonds with non-family can be just as strong if not stronger.

    ReplyDelete