Monday, January 12, 2015

Kids

I had my first volunteer session with the kids today and it was a whirlwind.

I’m not used to being around so many kids and their energy!  (Spending so much time with my nephew recently certainly helped prepare me.)  Though once they settled down into their reading sessions, it was wonderful; kids settled on bean bag chairs, at tables, in arm chairs - they each pick the spot they like best and hunker down for a session. These kids - they want so badly to be better readers and this program gives them a comfortable space to learn, it was wonderful to see their enthusiasm and comfort.

It was a good day. I also had coffee with Jane and Emily, the two masterminds of this program, and started to pick their brains about everything. There’s something so wonderful about meeting solidly good people. Aside from the fact that I can learn a ton from Jane and Emily - it's fabulous being around them and hearing them talk so enthusiastically about the amazing work they do. It’s inspiring and empowering. Their encouragement of my plans is powerful fuel.


No comments :

Post a Comment