Sunday, January 18, 2015

Party

Last night I went to a party. Elizabeth made me. She actually walked into my bedroom carrying a dress for me and informed me that I had to go with her. It went like this:

Beth: Anne, don’t argue, please. You have to go with me. Will was supposed to be my date but he’s been delayed by business stuff and can’t make it until later. You can wear my Versace dress - no one in Bath has seen it yet. It will look great on you! Can you be ready in two hours?

Me: Uh. What party is this?

Beth - rolling eyes: The Lee party, I've been talking about it all week. Very exclusive invite list. At the [fancy location redacted]. Catered by the best chef in Canada? Ringing any bells?

Me: Yes, right. And Will bailed?

Beth: He didn't ‘bail’, he’s running late.

Me: He told you two hours in advance that he’ll be late?

Beth: Yes, he’s very considerate. You’ll come, right? Kay is coming to do my hair now, I can send her in to try and do something quick with yours when she’s finished mine.

Me: Uh, sure.

Beth - handing me the hanger with the dress on it: If you damage this dress, I will disown you.

(This is not me but it is the dress.)
The dress was pretty amazing - slinky and form fitting while still being classy. I decided to go for it, own the look, have a night out where I play the part of confident socialite. See what life is like as Elizabeth. I can work the social scene when I have to, I have skills. I let Elizabeth’s stylist do something pretty with my hair and makeup. When I walked downstairs, Elizabeth smiled with approval.

Early on in the night I think Elizabeth was regretting loaning me the dress instead of wearing it herself. It was an amazing dress and I got a lot of attention. It was mostly superficial attention - the kind Elizabeth thrives on and I grow weary of after about an hour. I flirted with a few guys, had one serious, interesting conversation, ate amazing food, and only hid in the lobby pretending to read important text messages once.

In the cab on the way back, a tipsy Elizabeth got sincere with me for a minute and thanked me for going. Will had shown up to the party quite late and had been kept busy by others; Beth and I didn't see much of him during the evening. Beth doesn't really need a date for a party, she’s more than fine on her own, but if she rsvps with a +1, she would be mortified to show up alone. It’s a strange way to help your sister, but, I’m glad I could be there for her.

No comments :

Post a Comment