Thursday, December 18, 2014

Heading Home

I really love Lyme*. And I’m especially glad we are here in the off season so we don’t have to share it with anyone. It’s peaceful here, and like all seaside places it provides that edge where you can stand and stare out at the vast expanse and have your existence put into perspective.

I was out this morning for an early walk to the beach with Rietta to watch the tide and we ran into Wentworth and Louisa who were doing the same thing. We all made our way to the pier together. While going down some stairs to the beach, we passed a well-dressed guy who politely stood aside to let us go first. I thought I caught him checking me out as I went by, and when I turned away I saw Wentworth frowning as he watched him watching me. Can’t tell you how much my ego needed that little boost!

Then, when we were back at the B&B later, I bumped into a guy in the hall and it was the same guy! He recognized me, I think, and smiled (he had a lovely smile) and apologized for being in my way. We exchanged pleasantries and then Louisa called me to breakfast and I said goodbye. While eating breakfast, we saw luggage being loaded into an expensive sports car out front. Wentworth looked out the window and remarked that it was the guy we saw on the pier (he looked at me as he said this, but I didn’t react).

Mary was curious and asked the B&B staff who it was who had just left and we were told it was a Mr. Elliot who was on his way to Bath*. Mary got overly excited by this news - supposing it to be our distant cousin, Will Elliot.

[Our exact relation is complicated - his step-father and our father are cousins, I think. Dad used to fuss over the fact that we aren’t related by blood, only by marriage, but given the dearth of offspring in our family tree generally, he decided he couldn’t be picky. As neither Mary, Elizabeth, nor I have taken any steps to follow in Dad’s business footsteps, it is largely assumed that Will is the business heir apparent - for a time Dad was grooming him as such. Except Will snubbed Dad somehow several years ago and they haven’t been on speaking terms since. I was busy with school so I don’t know exactly what happened, though I do remember Elizabeth having some hopes centered around Will that also didn’t pan out - as Will started dating someone seriously (’some bimbo from the suburbs’ as Beth put it). It was all very drama-filled at the time and I happily ignored it all, as I tend to for all silly family dramas.]

Mary was excited to have almost run into him and went on about his good taste in cars and other nonsense. I tried to quiet her down about seeing Will, who she has never actually met herself, by reminding her that we are not on good terms with him and Dad would most likely be displeased to hear of our encounter. Mary realized I was right and stopped gushing long enough for another conversation topic to start. Personally, I’m pleased to have met him, however briefly. He actually seems like a nice guy; not the terrible, undeserving cretin that had been described to me. At least he makes a good first impression. Or maybe this place and the good company have just put me in such a good mood that I am exceptionally willing to move past old faults.

Sadly, we leave the island today and head back to the Lodge. Far too short a trip.  (I think Bandit is enjoying it here too.)














* Not actually Lyme or Bath, these are alias place names

3 comments :

  1. Great picture of Bandit!

    Hmm, it's a strange coincidence that your cousin was in Lyme the same time you guys were visiting, and happened to be staying at the same B&B. And that he's heading to Bath when your dad and sister are there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a coincidence to see him in Lyme; not sure why he'd be here this time of year. He lives in Bath, so that's less of a coincidence. I guess it's a good reminder of how small this province is, really!

      Delete
  2. I love going to places in the off season too! It's usually more relaxed and you meet actual locals who are happy to chat. (lovely photo of Bandit!)

    ReplyDelete