Tuesday, December 2, 2014

They Aren't Here

For all the times I have been around Wentworth recently, we have never been alone, until today. Well, mostly alone.

I was in the living room with Bandit whose injured paw I was cleaning. Wentworth entered and stopped just inside, clearly surprised to find me alone.

Wentworth: Sorry, I thought Louisa and Rietta were here.

Me, staring at him, stunned and unable to speak normal sentences: Uh, no. They aren't. Here.

Wentworth: I see.

Bandit: whine

Me: [continue cleaning paw, desperately try to think of something sensible to say to Wentworth]

At this point Wentworth has gone over to the window and is looking out for the others. I would desperately love to leave the room but have to finish tending to the dog. I am suddenly very self-conscious about everything - my plain hair that is pulled back into a ponytail, my plain outfit - jeans and an old sweater…. All very plain and boring. I felt very drab.

Wentworth: I hope your nephew is feeling better after his accident?

Me: Yes, thanks. He is getting better. Getting into trouble again, actually-

Then Hal enters.

Apparently everyone was expecting Louisa and Rietta to be at the cottage.

Hal says hello to me, nods slightly to Wentworth and sits in a chair with a newspaper, ignoring everyone.

Wentworth, who initially looked hopeful of conversation with someone other than me, returns to his window. Hal is emanating waves of dislike towards Wentworth and I’m failing to think of anything to say to cut the tension in the room.

I’m kneeling by the couch, trying to quickly bandage the paw of the fussy dog when the door opens and my nephew runs in. He makes a pest of himself, trying to climb up my back, putting his arms around my neck, pulling on my ponytail and generally being a headache. I order him to stop but he doesn't, he keeps hanging off me and pulling on my hair. I can’t get my hands free to deal with him. Hal tells him to stop, but he doesn't, in fact, he sticks his finger in my ear and I’m about to swear in front of him. Then I felt him being physically removed from my back. Wentworth took him to the other side of the room and entertained him with a toy. Wentworth kept his back to me while talking with the boy, making it clear he did not want my thanks.

It was a small act of kindness, but it is the first kindness Wentworth has shown me. I left the room as soon as the Louisa and Rietta arrived a few minutes later.

I find I need time by myself to get over these emotional hiccups. Such a trifle, right? He saw a kid being annoying and stepped in to help - like anyone would. Except Hal didn’t. Still, I’m ashamed of myself for getting so emotional over such a trivial action. You would think that no one ever showed me a bit of kindness before.

No comments :

Post a Comment