Saturday, December 20, 2014

Injury

Sorry - should have posted this on Thursday night!  I'm taking care of my nephew solo at the moment and haven't had any time!

-------------

I’m back at the cottage (Mary & Charles’). Leaving *Lyme did not go as planned. We were out walking one last time with Harvey, Sara, and Ben. We were all sad to be leaving and wanted to walk along the water one last time.

Harvey walked with me and thanked me for taking the time to draw Ben out of his shell, getting him to talk. He said Ben hasn't been this animated in a long time. I told him it was my pleasure and I offered my condolences for his sister. He mentioned that it had been Wentworth that had delivered the sad news to Ben. That Wentworth had flown to meet Ben and tell him in person, knowing his friend would be devastated. He brought Ben home and stayed with him for a week. I replied with something wholly inadequate but I was thinking - of course that’s what Wentworth would do.

The short form of what happened next is that there was an accident and Louisa sustained a head injury.

The long form is as follows. She was being silly and playful, as she often is; she insisted on jumping down from some stairs onto the stony beach where she wanted Wentworth to catch her. He tried to talk her out of it, worried he would drop her. But she insisted on having her way and jumped. Fortunately, he caught her. Not long after, she ran up the stairs, higher this time, called Wentworth’s name and jumped again, but this time he was not expecting it, was not ready for it and he only half caught her and then stumbled and fell. She knocked her head on some rocks and passed out. Mary started screaming. Rietta clutched my arm and froze. Wentworth was kneeling over Louisa, asking for help. Everyone was at a loss, so I told Mary to calm down, I got Charles to take Rietta off my arm, told Wentworth not to move Louisa and suggested someone get an ambulance. Wentworth caught the idea of an ambulance and pulled out his phone. I put out my hand to stop him and charged Ben with calling as he could better tell them where we were. Wentworth nodded and Ben handled the ambulance.

Once I was relieved of Rietta's death grip, I went to see how Louisa was. I didn’t want to move her in case she had a spinal injury, so I checked her pulse, listened to her breathing, and tried to peer underneath her head, looking for blood on the rocks. I reassured everyone that she was breathing.

Wentworth looked at me with desperation, asking what he should do. I told him to go up the stairs to watch for the ambulance and direct them to us so no time was wasted. With nothing else to do but wait, I held Louisa’s hand and hoped for the best.

She went to the hospital and was still unconscious when I left, though the doctors were optimistic she would be awake soon. Wentworth’s look of relief and unrestrained ‘thank god’ at that news keeps playing over in my head.

There was a great debate over who should stay and who should return to the Lodge as planned. Charles called Mr. and Mrs. Musgrove to tell them what had happened. Wentworth offered to drive back immediately to get them so they wouldn't have to make the drive themselves on the icy roads. They were grateful for the offer and it was arranged that Wentworth would go right away. He offered to take anyone that wanted to return to the Lodge, as the hospital was limiting visitors and most of us were just in the way. I overheard Charles and Wentworth discussing it.

Charles: I have to stay, but Mary should go back, she will need to take our boy from the Lodge.

Wentworth: I think Anne should stay too, she is the best person to help nurse Louisa when she wakes up, there is no one more capable.

Charles: I agree. Anne will be most useful here. Rietta I’m unsure about.  I know if Louisa wakes up she will want her, but she may need to return for work.

Wentworth: I defer to you and Rietta on that, Charles. I will go fetch my car and meet whomever needs a ride out front.

Wentworth came out of the room and found me in the hall. He petitioned me to stay and help Louisa and his usual icy demeanor to me in that moment had vanished. I was so surprised at the warmth in his voice as he asked me to care for Louisa that I blushed. I managed to somehow convey that I wanted to stay to help.

And yet, here I am at the cottage. Mary was told of the proposed plan for her to come home and she took exception to it, took it as a slight to her nursing skills. She claimed closer friendship with her sister-in-law and would not be talked out of it. So, as always, I yielded to make peace, I offered to return to take care of my nephew. It just isn't worth fighting Mary on these things - the more you oppose her, the more stubborn she becomes and the more unpleasant she makes it for everyone.

So Wentworth pulled his car around to the hospital entrance and found me waiting instead of Mary. He was surprised and I had to, with great embarrassment, tell him that Mary felt she should stay and that I had agreed to go instead. He looked like he was about to say something, but decided not to. He simply nodded and opened the passenger door for me.

We made the trip in silence except for Wentworth saying suddenly:

W: “I should have stopped her; such a stupid accident! She was so determined, but I should have talked her out of it!”

I told him he shouldn't blame himself, that Louisa is very set on having her way and it was simply an accident. He nodded but said nothing else.

The rest of the multiple hour trip passed in silence, both of us lost in our thoughts, CBC radio provided cover for our lack of conversation. A few weeks ago if you had told me I would be sitting in a car with Wentworth, silent, and generally relaxed about it, I would have laughed in your face. I have hardened myself to his cold shoulder; it doesn’t cut me the way it initially did. Funny how quickly you can adapt to even the most absurd or painful situations.

As he turned onto the road leading through the woods to the lodge, he spoke to me again.

W: I think we should call Charles before we go in. See if there is any update we can relay to their parents. What do you think?

Me, shocked to have him asking my opinion: I think it’s a good idea. Any comfort we can give them will help, I’m sure.

I pulled out my phone and dialed Charles as Wentworth slowly drove down the road. I managed to get Charles right away and he said that Louisa was not awake yet, but the scan showed no swelling, which was excellent news. He said his parents didn’t know yet and we were welcome to tell them. I hung up and relayed this to Wentworth. He dropped me off at the cottage saying he would have someone bring my nephew over shortly. And that was it, he was gone.

My nephew has finally gone to bed and so I am able to think over the events. How extraordinary it is that things can change so quickly - a happy promenade along the beach can suddenly be a nightmare.

I wonder if this accident has caused Wentworth to consider revising his previous opinion on the awesomeness of a character that is totally unyielding, if perhaps he now sees some merit in allowing others to influence opinions and actions?

2 comments :

  1. Oh my, I hope Louisa will be okay. It must have been a frightening scene. I admire that you were able to remain so calm and focused during all the chaos!

    I'm glad Wentworth acted more kindly towards you and deferred to your judgment. I think you're right; this might have been a harsh lesson that sometimes being insistent isn't always the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - your day sure took an unexpected turn! Hope Louisa will be okay. Poor Wentworth, feeling like it's all his fault.

    ReplyDelete